Whatever you do, DO NOT hire Nationwide Moving Company (www.nationmover.com). Absolutely terrible experience!!
1. As soon as I booked my move with Nationwide Moving, the lovely woman I spoke with “no longer works here”. Her emails bounced back and I had no contact to discuss my move with. Each time I needed to reach someone, I had to call their main number many times before getting an answer.
2. Set pick up time between 4-6pm, movers finally showed up at 8pm.
3. One of the movers spent 15 minutes in my roommate's bathroom upon arrival. Then spent another 15 in mine. The smell....
4. They put boxes on a dolly and pushed dolly down three flights of stairs, banging belongings the whole way.
5. I attempted to reach company once my stuff was en route. Again had to call multiple times to finally reach someone. Called to confirm the storage charge for additional months would be the $100/month rate I was quoted on my initial call. Employee didn’t know and said she’d call me back. She never did.
6. One week later I got a call from the man in charge saying “we are putting your stuff on the truck now, I need an address”. I told him I didn’t have one, that I’d been trying to reach him. Asked about the monthly storage, he said it would be $240/month. I told him it was unacceptable to change the rate once he had my belongings. He yelled at, and over, me. I told him I wanted to talk to the man in charge, he said it was him. I asked to talk to the owner. He said he was out of the country and unreachable.
7. With the five days’ notice, I found a storage unit in my town and was told by Nationwide Moving that it would be delivered between the 4th and the 6th. On the 6th, I called (again I had to call multiple times to get someone to answer the phone) to see where they were, and was given the driver’s phone number to call him and track him down myself. He didn’t answer. Left a message for him to return my call regarding my drop off.
8. Driver finally returned my call. When I answered his greeting was: “I had a missed call from this number”. Said he’d be there three days later, on the 9th.
9. Met truck at my storage unit, finding the driver smoking a cigar as he moved stuff on the truck around. He didn’t say hello, just started reprimanding me for the layout of the storage unit. He told me he couldn’t get the truck into the storage area. I told him with short notice it was the best I could do - what are our options? He didn’t answer, just got the contract and read it to me. I again asked what our options were and he rolled his eyes and walked away without a word. Finally, he agreed to look at the unit. Then told me it would be an additional $300 to deliver my belongings to the unit. He said he would have given me a better deal but my attitude changed his mind, he didn't like me.
10. My belongings were terribly scratched and ruined. Boxes were barely intact. Boxes marked ‘fragile’ were smashed. (see below)
Unfortunately, I had to go out of town and will be for an extended period so I have had no opportunity to open the boxes to see how much is broken. I can’t imagine anything survived …
Their initial quote states their movers are uniformed and professional. Not one of the employees was in any type of uniform, and far from professional.
The delivery schedule was stated as 1-21 business days - it was 37 days from pick up to delivery.