We were mistreated by All State Van Lines every step of the way. The main reason we chose this company was because they were one of the few that does business on Sundays. Not only that, they guaranteed our pick-up would be Sunday March 1.
• On Friday Feb 27th, I got a call that the movers were going to both pick up and deliver everything on Sunday the 1st. I rushed to the bank to get a cashier’s check, knowing the bank wouldn’t be open on the day of delivery.
• Our pickup ETA was 8-10am on Sunday March 1. We had everything packed up on time (because heaven forbid the movers have to wait for anything)
• The movers did not show up by 10am. I tried calling the customer service line, but no one answered because it was a Sunday. I tried calling the 3rd party moving company, but the phone number on their website was out of service. We had told our landlord we would be out that day, and now it seemed we had no idea what was going to happen.
• At noon, we got a call from the 3rd party saying the truck was filled with another family’s belongings and they couldn’t pick up our stuff that day. They did not give us a new pickup estimate and there was no one we could talk to because it was a Sunday (again, the reason we picked this company was because they said they did business on Sundays).
• When we finally heard from the All State customer service people on Monday March 2, they never apologized but kept repeating their excuse. When a business makes a guarantee, I don’t care how they have to get it done. I didn’t overload their truck and it shouldn’t be my problem that someone else did. Meanwhile, we had to stay an extra day in our apartment so we were paying double rent on our old place and our new place.
• We were told the pickup now might not happen until Wednesday March 4th, which on our contract was the latest possible day for delivery.
• A few hours later, we got a call to get everything together NOW because the movers were on their way.
• Upon pickup, my husband was told he had to sign a new estimate. Before we committed to this company, we were promised this was not in the realm of possibility. We were also told that our items would still be delivered the same day they were picked up.
• An hour or two after pickup, we got a call that our things might not be delivered until Saturday March 7. A FULL WEEK after what we were told on Friday Feb. 27th. And by this time, we only had enough clothes to make it through one night because we were told that was all we needed.
• Our things were finally delivered on Wednesday March 4th. We were given an hour’s notice and told to get a new cashier’s check because it was a different company. We were supposed to have at least 24 hours notice of the final balance and delivery. For both pick up and delivery, we were expected to drop everything NOW because it was a convenient time for the movers.
• The movers completely destroyed 3 pieces of furniture (they arrived in several pieces), which we have put claims in for, but they also damaged the new house by denting doors and putting marks and scratches on the walls and floors, which aren’t covered under the moving insurance.
• Throughout the process, when we tried calling customer service, they were always magically “out to lunch.” When they did call back, they would blatantly lie, saying they tried calling us several times. If that were true, our phones would have kept track of the missed calls.
All State has agreed to give us $75 back for the delays and they seem to think this is very generous. It will almost cover the cost of our take-out when we found ourselves without food, or anything with which to prepare food like pots and pans or utensils. $75 on a $2000 bill is laughable. I gave this company thousands of dollars and all they did was make my life worse and lie to me every step of the way.