What Do Full-Service Movers Do?
Curious to know what’s included when you hire a full-service moving company? Here’s our breakdown of everything full-service movers handle during your move.
Molly has been writing about the moving industry for more than 10 years and knows exactly what makes a mover great.
If you’re moving to a new home, even if it isn’t in a new town, city, or state, the moving process can still be an incredibly stressful situation. Dealing with the moving particulars on your own can be a hassle and time-consuming.
What many people forget is that they don’t need to conduct their move alone. You can instead opt to hire a full-service moving company. A full-service moving company will handle all the heavy lifting for you. Regardless of whether you are participating in an intrastate, a local, or a long-distance move, they will ensure your move is pleasant.
However, professional movers and all these services do come at a cost.
Without further ado, let’s take a much closer look into answering the question “What does a full-service moving company do?”
What Is A Full-Service Move?
Have you been wondering what a full-service move entails? Well, a full-service move is conducted by professional movers who aim to ensure your moving experience is enjoyable by handling your entire moving process from start to finish. They will provide you with packing services, unpacking services, furniture disassembly, furniture reassembly, and truck loading and unloading services.
In addition to transporting your household goods from and to a new location, a full-service moving company will even provide all the necessary moving equipment and supplies you need for your move. Moreover, they will also provide clients with short-term and long-term storage services.
What Is A Moving Truck?
To understand a full-service move, you must first know what a moving truck is, as many full-service movers use moving trucks. Essentially a moving truck is a mode of transportation that people specifically use to move their household or office belongings from one destination to another.
There are various moving truck options available, and which one you use will vary according to your moving needs. Additionally, many different moving truck sizes cater to different loads.
What Is The Difference Between A Full-Service Moving Company And A Self-Service Moving Company?
While there are quite a few different types of moving companies, you’re most likely to come across these two types most commonly: a full-service moving company and a self-service moving company. A full-service moving company will be responsible for moving your household belongings into a truck, driving the truck, and unloading your items at your destination.
In contrast, a self-service moving company is only responsible for driving the truck from your current residence to your new home. You will be responsible for loading the truck and unloading it.
Check out our full post to weigh the differences between hiring professional movers and doing a DIY move.
What Is Included In A Full-Service Move?
What services do full-service movers provide? We have already briefly spoken about what a full-service moving company offers, but we will now go into each service more in-depth so that you know exactly what to expect.
Specialty Items Moving
In the moving industry, a few of the best moving companies will be able to cater to your specialty items’ moving needs. If you have very large, fragile, valuable, or sentimental items that you need to move, a full-service mover is likely your best choice.
For example, you will know that they are taken care of if you need to move a piano, paintings, mirrors, chandeliers, and various electronics. Some of the best movers can even arrange for car shipping if you don’t plan on driving to your new residence when moving.
Unlike self-service moving companies, many full-service moving companies offer various storage options to suit your requirements. Usually, you will have access to short-term and long-term storage solutions when you cant take all your belongings with you during one move.
Most full-service moving companies will have secure storage facilities that they closely monitor through various security systems. This means that your worldly goods will be safe until you are ready to access them.
Packing And Unpacking Services
Most people will tell you that the most challenging part about moving is the packing and unpacking. With a full-service moving company, they will do this chore for you. The professional movers working for the company will pack up your entire residence safely and efficiently, often much faster than you could have. Then after you are in your new home, they will unpack all your items in the same manner.
Transportation Of Belongings
Packing up your belongings is only the first obstacle you need to face. The most crucial moving task is determining who will transport your goods once you are ready to move.
If you use a full-service moving company, they will use a moving truck to load your belongings and take them to where you need them to be. Additionally, they will even go one step further and unload all your belongings so that you don’t have to.
When you are moving, you don’t want to take items you no longer need with you. Most people find moving the perfect time to declutter their lives, but they usually have an issue getting rid of the things they no longer need.
This is where a full-service moving comes in. They will provide you with rubbish bins that you can use to throw away items you don’t need. Then after the move, they will take away these bins and dispose of them for you.
Furniture Assembly And Disassembly
You likely own furniture that you need to disassemble when you move. If this is the case, a full-service moving company can help if you are not a DIY person. They will disassemble all relevant items and pack them meticulously so that they are easy to unpack when at your new home. Additionally, many of these companies will also offer to reassemble all the furniture in your new home if need be.
Donation Of Unwanted items
There are a few full-service moving companies that offer donation services. Any items you no longer need will help you donate by transporting them to a shelter. They will usually do this at no extra cost to you. Some of these companies even run donation programs and are more than willing to take any unwanted gently used items off your hands.
Moving Materials And Supplies
Do you hate spending copious amounts of time shopping at hardware stores for all your moving materials and supplies? Well, if you utilize a full-service moving company, this will be a hassle of the past. They usually use their own boxes, bubble wrap, scissors, moving blankets, crating, tape, labels, and other moving supplies.
Full Value Protection Insurance
Insurance is vital when you are moving your belongings from one residence to the next. Most full-service moving companies will have full value protection insurance. This type of moving insurance will cover the cost of replacing any items that might have been lost or broken during the move.
How Much Does A Full-Service Moving Company Cost?
Many different factors determine how much a full-service moving company will cost. Every move is different, and each moving company has its own pricing guidelines, which is why you can only ever really get a moving estimate of how much a move will cost you.
We will look at the common moving factors that affect pricing within this section so that you know how much you will need to budget. In most instances, a full-service moving company will offer you a free quote to make the process stress-free.
- The total weight of all your belongings.
- The distance between the two places you are moving.
- The price of fuel.
- Accommodation costs.
- How difficult the move is.
- The specific requirements you have. For example, if you need fragile items to be moved differently from the rest of your belongings.
- Whether you are participating in local moving, long-distance moving, or cross country moving.
- Whether your move is an interstate move whereby you need to cross state lines with long-distance movers.
- How many movers you need.
- How long it will take the interstate moving company or local movers to pack, load, unload and unpack your belongings.
Often a full-service moving company will charge local moves on an hourly basis. Depending on if you are moving locally or interstate and the size of your house, you should expect to pay roughly $65 – $400 an hour. However, generally, this fee includes the cost of two professional movers and the hiring of the moving truck.
Additionally, some full-service moving companies will charge you a minimum moving fee. This fee usually includes a few hours of work, with an additional fee kicking in after the requirements of your move surpass the allocation of hours.
If you need to hire a full-service moving company for a long-distance move, you will need to anticipate paying a significantly higher price. You should expect to pay between $2,000 to $10,000 for a long-distance move. Again this figure will depend on the distance of your move and the size of the residence or business you need to pack up and relocate.
What Is A Good Hourly Rate For Movers?
When considering the costs of a move, you are likely trying to determine a good hourly rate for movers. After conducting some research, we came across some average prices of what hourly rates you should be paying for full-service movers.
The figures below are based on the cost of a local move, including the price of two movers. However, a full-service moving company should generally charge you between $60 and $120 per hour for a local move. To be sure, you should always request a moving quote from the moving company that you are considering.
- If you are moving a studio apartment, you need to budget between $150 to $200 for 2 to 3 hours.
- If you are moving a two-bedroom house, you need to budget between $350 to $450 for 3 to 4 hours.
- Should you be moving a three-bedroom house, you need to budget between $800 to $1,000 for 8 to 9 hours.
How Do I Prepare For A Full-Service Mover?
It’s no secret that a full-service moving company is the most convenient type of moving service. These companies genuinely handle every part of your move. Yet, there are a few tasks you should consider completing on your own to help the process run smoothly.
Chances are a full-service moving company will be very appreciative if you take the initiative to prepare for their arrival. Below you will see some handy tips on how you should prepare for your full-service move.
- Create a moving inventory that details all your possessions so that you can keep track of what has and has not been packed.
- Consider downsizing your belongings before booking a full-service move, as this will prevent you from having to pay exorbitant prices when you don’t need to.
- Evaluate your current residence and be sure to unhook and unplug items that you need to move. You should also make sure that no loose floor tiles or potential hazards could hinder movers.
- On the day of the move, keep pets and children out of the way so that movers can navigate around your home easily. If they cannot, you could end up having to pay more for the extra hours they spend moving you.
- Remove dangerous and flammable items before the moving day. Most full-service movers won’t move certain hazardous items such as batteries, cleaning fluids, gasoline, kerosene, fertilizer, aerosol cans, and propane tanks.
- Determine which items you will be packing and which the moving company will be packing as this will save you and the moving team time. If you plan to pack up certain items to transport yourself, be sure to let the mover know. That way, they don’t need to unpack items from the truck and slow down the moving process.
- Ensure you carry items like money, jewelry, and prescription medication with you. Should there be a delay with your move, you don’t want to run out of medicine or money while waiting for your full-service mover to deliver your belongings.
What Are Some Tips For Moving With A Full-Service Mover?
When you decide to move with a full-service moving company, you should keep a few tips in mind. These tips will help ensure your moving process goes according to plan.
Confirm The Payment Method
During talks with the full-service mover you want to use, you need to find out their payment method. If a moving company insists you pay in cash, you should automatically be on guard as these companies could hold onto your goods ransom. Instead, use a moving company that accepts multiple forms of payment such as credit card payments, cashier’s checks, and money orders.
Beware Those Who Ask For A Deposit
If you are going to opt for a full-service move, you should know that no company should ask you for a deposit. In most American states, it is illegal for a full-service moving company to ask for a deposit. They cannot ask you for a deposit as no packing, unpacking, driving, or unloading has transpired.
Determine Your Communities Parking Laws
Did you know that full-service movers travel with their own trailers and with various size trucks? This is important to note as your move could run into problems if you don’t find out the various community parking laws relevant to where you are moving.
Different towns and cities have different rules when it comes to moving trucks parking at residences. If you find out the laws and regulations, you can alert your moving company ahead of time. This will avoid problems with the law and ensure your moving company doesn’t receive a fine that you will be responsible for.
What Are The Benefits Of A Full-Service Move?
It’s crucial to determine the benefits of a full-service move before deciding to go with this option. If you’re debating whether to hire professional movers, you might want to learn a few of the most important benefits. By knowing the benefits, you will be able to make a proper decision, allowing you to plan and budget accordingly.
- Full-service moves are faster and more reliable than other moving methods because they have the necessary skills to complete your move in a way that works.
- They offer stress-free moving by handling every aspect of your move, from packing and unpacking to loading and unloading. This allows you to relax or focus on other tasks.
- The professional movers will do all the heavy lifting to get your belongings into a moving truck and out of it. This way, you avoid injury and won’t be tired when you get to your new home.
What Are Some Of The Drawbacks Of A Full-Service Move?
As with most services, a few drawbacks are surrounding opting for a full-service move. If you are wondering what these drawbacks are, you can have a look below. However, remember to consider the disadvantages to make a proper decision, but you will need to also weigh up the benefits.
- When you use a full-service mover, you won’t have much control over your move as they will handle every aspect. This could be an exasperating issue if you are a person who likes to control your moves. If you have specific ways you want things to be packed and unpacked and you want to organize the truck, a full-service move service is likely, not suitable for you.
- Unlike with self-service moving companies, the costs of a full-service move can be quite expensive. Yet, you will get what you pay for, but their full range of services might be out of your price range.
- Sometimes, you may have to schedule a full-service move according to the moving company’s schedule, which can hinder those with time limitations. If you don’t want to schedule a full-service move weeks or months in advance, then it may not be the best moving solution for you.
Is A Full-Service Move Worth It?
Ultimately, whether or not you deem a full-service moving company worth it, it is your decision. However, when deciding if a full-service moving company is worth it, keep in mind the following crucial pieces of information.
Much of what we speak of here has been said previously, but we will refresh your memory with some highlights so that you can ultimately decide if a full-service move is right for you.
- These companies are more expensive than self-service moving companies, but they will handle all your moving needs.
- Full-service movers will handle all the heavy lifting, which will leave you less likely to experience any moving injuries.
- These companies will allow you to have free time as they will take care of all the packing, unpacking, and loading, and unloading.
- You will have more of a guarantee that your belongings will arrive in one piece, and if not that you will receive compensation when using a full-service mover that has insurance.
- If you only need to move a few possessions or a studio house and are on a budget, a full-service moving company could be excessively expensive.
Molly has been writing about the moving industry for more than 10 years and knows exactly what makes a mover great.