International Movers

Planning the ultimate move to another country? Here are some facts and tips to help you find the best mover to fit your needs.

Did you know there are more than 700 specialized international movers in North America? When searching for an international mover, the five most important acronyms to look for are:

  • Federal Maritime Commission FMC License
  • Federal Maritime Commission NVOCC License
  • Member of the International Association of Movers (IAM)
  • Registered International Mover (RIM Certification) from the AMSA
  • International Air Transport Association (IATA) (For smaller, faster shipments)

Spot any of these five and you are most likely working with a professional.

Important: By working directly with an FMC or NVOCC licensed mover, you are protected by the licensee's $50,000 or $75,000 bond if something were to happen to your items when shipped overseas.

If the mover does not have an FMC or NVOCC, they are most likely acting as a middleman between you and a mover who does.

Membership in IAM or AMSA's RIM is something only the very specialized, well-established international movers tend to pay to belong to.

IATA only pertains to small fast shipments by air rather than my marine vessel. Nearly all International Movers based in the US and Canada is concisely listed in this directory.


  • Make sure the mover has a valid FMC license and bond. Links to this verification are found on all mover listings on
  • A mover should be willing to come out and do a survey of your items before giving you an exact quote.
  • 200 international movers have RIM certification, which shows completion of advanced training as well as at least 3 years of experience.
  • Review the brochure from the US Customs - Know Before You Go: